- About Us
- Healthy Eating
- Canada's Food Guide
- Nutrition Facts
- The Facts on Fat
- Trans Fat
- The Function of Nutrients
- Planning Healthy Meals
- Eating Out
- Healthy Eating for Life
- Special Occasions
- Advice From Our Dietitians
Cucumber Ricotta Chunky Salsa
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:10 minutes
Makes:3 cups (750 mL)
Serving Size:2 tbsp (25 mL) servings with 3-4 pita chips
This salsa may make you think of tzatziki, but it has an Italian flare with the use of ricotta. The combination of creamy ricotta and chunky cool cucumber this makes a tasty contrast to the crunchy pita crisps. Great for a casual gathering.
- 5 whole-wheat pita bread pockets
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 field or small English cucumber
- 1 tub (475 g) light or reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh dill
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1.Separate pita breads and cut each into 8 wedges. In batches, brush each with oil and place on baking sheet. Toast in 425 F (220 C) oven for about 5 minutes or until crispy. Let cool. Repeat with remaining pita wedges.
2.Meanwhile, peel cucumber and halve lengthwise. Using small spoon, scoop out seeds and discard. Dice and place in large bowl. Add ricotta, lemon rind and juice. Stir in mint, dill and onion. Stir to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Stir before serving with pita chips.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. © 2012 The Heart and Stroke Foundation.